ISIS-linked group claims responsibility for rockets fired at Israel from Sinai

By July 07 2015, 15:58 Latest News No Comments

Rockets SinaiISIS-linked terrorists in the Sinai Peninsula have claimed responsibility for the firing of two rockets that hit Israel last Friday afternoon.

An IDF spokesman said: “Two rockets fired from Sinai struck southern Israel, but without causing casualties or material damage”.

ISIS’s affiliate in Egypt, Sinai Province, formerly known as Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, said it had fired three Grad rockets at Israel in retaliation for alleged Israeli support for Egypt’s military last Wednesday when the jihadists attacked army checkpoints in northern Sinai.

Last week, the Salafist group coordinated a wave of suicide bombings and battles on Egyptian army outposts, leaving 64 soldiers, 90 jihadists and four civilians dead.

The coordinated Sinai assault focused on the town of Sheikh Zuweid and targeted at least six military checkpoints, security officials said. The jihadists also took soldiers captive and seized weapons and several armoured vehicles.

Today, Egypt’s military said that it has killed 241 of the Sinai Province militants in five days.

In November 2014, the Salafist group pledged allegiance to ISIS’ self-declared caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and has since vowed to “liberate Jerusalem”.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Read previous post:
UK Government urged to boycott Durban IV commemoration in September

Close